Sunday, April 22, 2018

Finding Peace in the Storm

I have been staring at this blank page for a couple of days now trying to figure out what to write. I want to share what's going on, but the truth is that I don't know the truth or entirety of what is happening. So I guess I'll do my best.

On Thursday, we were released early from school due to protests that started taking place across Managua in response to the government making changes to the social security system and existing pensions. School for Friday was cancelled that evening. The protests continued throughout the weekend, usually starting mid afternoon and continuing into the late evening and even early morning hours. I was able to go with some friends on Friday and Saturday to the store, more because we wanted to get out more than an actual need for anything. We stuck pretty close to home, and we saw minimal signs of protests.

Other cities have begun protesting as well, and the national police have been responding. I can't speak with 100% certainty with who is starting what, so I'll leave it at that. Probably the most disconcerting thing is how difficult it is to get the truth of the matter. On Thursday evening, the government ordered all local news stations off the air. As a result, to find any news or information, I have to scroll through social media, which is full of one-sided opinions, photos, and videos, or search for news stories. And with my Spanish not being that great, I can't understand a lot of the stories that have been published. Honestly, if it weren't for social media, I would have no idea of what is going on out there.

I know the president was on TV today, and I believe, if I understood some of the messages correctly, that he was saying they will put a hold on the social security increases since nothing is set in stone yet. However, I don't know if that will be enough to calm the masses. People here, on both sides, have been very frustrated for a long time.

As for me, I am safe. I am well-stocked on provisions. I have my vicious attack dog who has enjoyed having me home and slept for probably 22 out of 24 hours of each day. Maybe she's part koala? Here is a map that someone shared. The red pins are the protests happening around Managua. I marked a blue star to show where I am in relation to the protests.


I don't fear for myself. I am worried about the response of the police to protesters. I am worried about the mob mentality that could take over. I am worried about some of my students who go out to protest. And, this may seem silly to some, but I am worried about the rest of the school year. We had classes for tomorrow and Tuesday cancelled, and beyond that is unclear. I have students who will take the AP Statistics test on May 17, and they are missing out on valuable learning time. My other students are probably going to have units cut if we miss much more. I know that is such a low priority compared to some of the things happening, but I'm a teacher - that's what is on my mind. But I know that God is the author and perfecter of all things.

I was able to go to church today at International Christian Fellowship, the English-speaking church I attend. We spent time praying in groups for this beautiful country we call home and for everyone involved. Would you please join us in prayer? Here are some specific ways you can pray:


  • Pray for peace. There is a march scheduled for tomorrow. Please pray that people are able to march and express themselves peacefully without fear. 
  • Pray for Godly leaders. There are so many lies and so much deceit swirling around. We prayed this morning that God would raise up men and women who will speak truth on both sides of the conversation.
  • Pray for safety. The numbers of deaths I've heard are all over the board, but the most consistent I've heard is that more than 25 people, mostly college students, have died. Please pray that the bloodshed would end.
Thank you friends. Please feel free to share with friends and family these prayer requests. We are trusting in God to provide and to intervene. 

In church this morning, part of our prayer time was spent praying Psalm 91. Let these words sink in and become your prayer for Nicaragua. 


Psalm 91

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment